About Me

My photo
PLEASE NOTE: I have moved my blog to http://howardcasner.wordpress.com/. Please follow the link for all my updated postings. Thank you.

Monday, February 6, 2012

HANGMEN ALSO DIE!

Just saw Hangmen Also Die!, a 1943 film about the Czech underground that is one of Bertolt Brecht's only screen credits for writing (Fritz Lang directed). It actually starts out with some interesting moral ideas and questions worth discussing, but then it turns into a wildly improbably melodrama. What it actually made me ask is how come comedies and farces, like To Be Or Not To Be or The Great Dictator or Life is Beautiful, seem to be more effective or last the longest in dealing with such nightmarish situations (it's the same way with Dr. Strangelove, which is a better movie than Failsafe).

No comments:

Post a Comment