About Me

My photo
PLEASE NOTE: I have moved my blog to http://howardcasner.wordpress.com/. Please follow the link for all my updated postings. Thank you.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

IN DARKNESS (2011)

The Polish entry in the 2011 Academy Award foreign film category. Based on a true story, the story revolves around a group of Jews who hide out in the Warsaw sewers and the thief/sewer worker who helps hide them. It's an important subject and it's well made with powerful moments, but it's one of those films I wanted to like more than I did. The director, Agnieszka Holland (one of Poland's best known directors) works hard, but I think the more melodramatic and soap operic aspects of the script didn't work for me (screenplay by David F. Shamoon). The main reason to see it is the performance by the sewer worker, Robert Wieckiewicz, who goes through the standard character arc with a good amount of empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment