About Me

My photo
PLEASE NOTE: I have moved my blog to http://howardcasner.wordpress.com/. Please follow the link for all my updated postings. Thank you.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

SIGHT AND SOUND PICKS VERTIGO OVER CITIZEN KANE

My theory is that Citizen Kane has always been recognized as an important film and a technical achievement (for its time), but always lacked a human connection for people. Now that a new, younger generation of critics have come up, they still appreciate the technical achievement of Kane and its importance, but Vertigo is something that they have a more visceral and immediate emotional connection. I know Vertigo doesn't work for a lot of people, but for me, it is Hitchcock's greatest film, an incredible exploration of the dark forces that drive us, a riveting dissection of how sex and obsession can take over our lives, disguised as a suspense film. My big issue is The Searchers. I understand it's importance, but I can't get past the racism and the cruel humor toward Native Americans the movie shows at times (and a lackluster supporting cast).

No comments:

Post a Comment