About Me

My photo
PLEASE NOTE: I have moved my blog to http://howardcasner.wordpress.com/. Please follow the link for all my updated postings. Thank you.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

I just picked up and started reading the book What Just Happened?, the memoirs of Art Linson, the producer of such movies as Fight Club, Heat and Into the Wild.
I haven't gotten very far, but I did find one thing interesting. He left one place and went to another to start producing films. His first step was to come up with product. What I thought was odd was that instead of finding a screenplay he liked, he called David Mamet and asked him to come up with an idea, to write a screenplay from scratch (which eventually became The Edge). What immediately came to mind is no wonder Hollywood is in such a pickle. They waist time creating product rather than finding it. Why spend all that money on developing something from scratch, when one can find plenty of quality screenplays already written.

No comments:

Post a Comment